Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Finally, Laura's Quilt is Done

At least the top is. This will be set aside for a couple of weeks while I figure out how to quilt it. This quilt is an adaptation from Kaffe Fasset's "Sunlight in the Forest" found in his book, "Quilts in Sweden". When I asked Laura for fabric selections, her eyes always seemed to return to the bright, vivid, floral patterns for which Kaffe is so famous. After weeks of deliberating, I finally decided that I couldn't decide which of his fabrics best represent her and so I chose a pattern that featured almost all of them. These colors hinted at the gypsy spirit I first saw in Laura when we met in college so many years ago.

While our lives diverged after graduation as we both travelled and then settled thousands of miles apart, ours was the kind of friendship that immediately rekindled once we found each other again via Facebook 4 years ago. It was as if we continued a conversation we left off just a few minutes before. A friendship I am truly grateful for.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, my flabber is gasted, well and truly! It's not at all what I imagined it would be like, but you have so captured me in this quilt. Thank you for the time and love you have put into it already!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is GORGEOUS!!! Love the colors and fabric choices you made. WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so beautiful quilt! fabrics are fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is fabulous. As it happens, I have the Fasset book here courtesy of the library (I am contemplating a variation on the cover quilt "Striped City," having finally found local outlet with vast array of KF fabrics). It's great that you went in such a different direction in terms of palette. There is not enough blue in the original for my taste, and you definitely solved that! I also like your different handling of border.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this quilt! Your fabric choices are great. Now I have to go back and look up your inspiration quilt in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Love this quilt! Laura will love her quilt.
    I love Kaffe Fassett ... books and fabrics!

    ReplyDelete