Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2012

I Thought I Was Done, But Then. . . .

First, I have to say, I am thrilled to have come this far on this crazy journey. This quilt has been the toughest one I've made so far, mainly because I wasn't following a pattern. And at the same time, I found it easier to sustain an interest in this project, because I had no idea what I would do next with it. 

It's hard to believe that I started with this,


and it turned out to be this. All because dd said, "Those look like leaves. Can you make me a tree quilt instead? I want it to be dark and haunting."
Now that I have the background behind the trees done, and it does resemble a sunset in the distance, a little, I realize that it is no longer dark and haunting. As I was adding the bargello strips in between the tree trunks, I decided I would next applique a silhouette of a tree line of naked branches to break up some of that brightness starting from the top of the black and extending up to the beginning of the blue line. And to balance out the design, the last step will be adding some dried up, wintry forest ground cover to the bottom to create a foreground.

8 comments:

  1. Amazing, Ann....really really beautiful. Can we get together soon? Maybe we can work on our CQ squares for Masha's project :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is looking really great! Very arty and definately one to treasure. Funny, I was thinking of this quilt of yours two days ago when I was out in the garden examining the damage the horses did to my trees, one of them being a birch, and you know how trains of thought tend to steam off by themselves?? So I'm delighted you are progressing so successfully with it...do you know any way of growing birches back really quickly?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather!

      Sorry to hear what those horses did. Makes me wonder what kind of nutrient a birch tree provides an equine. You probably already know how much birch trees love swampy land. With plenty of water, they can grow 5 feet a year. I also think of you when I daydream of having a studio in an artists' colony. A place where I can be totally absorbed in my project, work right through dinner if I want to, and only serve wheat crackers and apples when it's time to cook. Ah, fantasies. . . .

      Delete
  3. This is absolutely inspired. Your design is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary!

      Now that this quilt has a clearer direction, I have begun to enjoy the journey. I love your blog, btw.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila!

      It's good to hear from you. I also enjoy the works of art you make for your grandkids. They are treasures.

      Delete